Sunday, November 6, 2011

Fall Days

Fall in Heidelberg has been absolutely stunning this year.  We have had bright sunny days and crisp nights and have been surrounded by vibrant colors on the hillsides and in the fields.  Every time I go for a drive (even when I’m heading somewhere as mundane as the doctor’s office) I am struck by the beauty which surrounds me and am reminded how blessed I am.  I am so grateful for the time we have had here in Germany, and I will treasure this place for the rest of my life. 

We have done our best to get out and enjoy autumn this year.  One of the places we visited was the Ludwigsburg Schoss and its annual pumpkin festival.  This was our third visit to the pumpkin festival (I never got around to posting last year's photos).  So, without further ado, I ask you a question.

What to you get when you cross this…

                                                     IMG_1729

…with this?

                                                     IMG_1731

Why this of course!

                                                                                IMG_1764

Castes and dinosaurs, of course!  (If you look closely, you can see Rapunzel’s long braid hanging from the tower.)  Each year the festival has a theme (previous years have included fairy tales and sea creatures).  This year’s was dinosaurs.  We didn’t feel like this theme gave as much scope for the imagination as, for instance, the fairy tale theme (the Pied Piper and his grey pumpkin rats were probably my favorite) but it was still fun to look at and impressive overall.

                                 IMG_1745       IMG_1766

 

                                                IMG_1759

                                                IMG_1763

The pumpkin festival wasn’t just about dinosaurs.  There was a prize for the largest pumpkin submitted…

                                         IMG_1732

…a hayloft for the kids to play in…

                           IMG_1755       IMG_1756

…and a fun display of pumpkin/gourd carving.  My favorite is probably the cow.

                                                                  IMG_1735

                                       IMG_1737

              IMG_1738       IMG_1739

             IMG_1740        IMG_1741  

And, of course, there were all kinds of pumpkins and gourds as far as the eye could see.

                                  IMG_1773

              IMG_1769       IMG_1771

                              IMG_1744

We walked, we laughed, we ate, we played…it was a beautiful day.

                                                         IMG_1734

5 comments:

Jenna Harris said...

It's so nice to see a post from you. My kids were stoked to see your kids. Annika, has recently been asking if Naomi and Jocelyn could come play.

Ali said...

These pictures are delightful! I can't wait to show them to my boys!

Rach said...

I love that there's a pumpkin festival. It reminds me of the Wererabbit movie, just a little. I love the cow, but I think the pigs were my favorite. It's always great to see a new post from you!

Eardley Fam said...

Oh how I LOVE that festival! My screensaver right now is a photo from last year when we went. Sadly, fall here is pretty lame. Looks like a wonderful outing! Austin would have loved that theme!

Julie and Carlos said...

Those pumpkin dinosaurs were hilarious!