Sunday, May 15, 2011

There’s No Place Like Rome

Amazing!  It’s only been a couple of days and here I am blogging again.  What IS the world coming to?  So, without further ado, Rome.            

We arrived at our apartment and every expectation I had for the place was more than realized.  It was heaven.  This picture is looking from inside the front gate looking out.

                                                                        IMG_0320

The apartment we rented was in a nature preserve (essentially a no build zone) just south of Rome.  It took a little extra time to get into the city each day, but it was completely worth it -especially to a couple of kids who are stuck in a lame-o stairwell apartment most of the time.  For Naomi, the best part of our Rome stay was the access to animals.  She particularly loved Bingo the dog.  She liked this cat at first, but after it scratched her she became (only slightly) less enchanted with it.

                                                                       IMG_0323

Ian loved the soccer balls, the bicycles, the scooters and the space he had to enjoy these things unsupervised.  How I miss having a fenced in back yard!

                                                                       IMG_0325

I loved the isolation and peaceful setting.  It was wonderful to have a calm and beautiful place to relax after a long day in the very, very, very crowded and busy city. 

                                 IMG_0324

We spent our first day in Rome at (where else??) the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.  We had heard rumors that because it was culture week in Italy (starting the day we arrived) that all state run museums would be free.  The rumors were true.  We were floored by the crowds at the Colosseum.  We have traveled in Europe quite a lot over the last 3 years, and these crowds were definitely the WORST we have encountered.  The difference was in the demographics.  We weren’t surrounded by Asian tour groups, or Americans, or even Germans.  Every place we went was jam packed full of Italians.  Of course, when traveling in Italy, one expects to see some Italians visiting the sights, but this was unlike anything I’d seen before – even when I lived in Italy!  (Although I was left wondering if the week long school trip to Venice I made with my class in the 8th grade was during culture week.)  It was like visiting during peak season only it was early April.  Not what we had expected.  Truthfully I would have rather paid the money and dealt with fewer people.  In any case, we made the most of it and were able to see pretty much everything we wanted to.

                                      IMG_0328

This picture is taken from the back side of the Colosseum (not close to the entrance) where the crowds weren’t quite so intense.  If you look closely, however, you can see the crush of people inside.  People are only allowed in select areas and those areas fill up fast.

                     IMG_0330       IMG_0331

The weather was perfect.  It wasn’t always bright and sunny, but the temperature was always pleasant and we weren’t rained on once the entire trip.  (It rained one morning but stopped before we got to the city.)

Here we are on the inside.  I found myself wishing (like I had as a teenager) that we could get down into the bottom levels and explore.  Alas, it is still not possible.  I’m guessing there are safety and/or security concerns. 

         IMG_0344       IMG_0354

    IMG_0357     IMG_0358     IMG_0345

Just outside the Colosseum you can see Constantine’s arch, which has been standing since the year 315 A.D.  So old.  Even older are many of the carvings and statues on the arch which were plundered from earlier monuments and buildings.  It is always amazing to see something that has lasted for such a long time.  I can’t think of many (if any!) modern buildings that will have that kind of longevity.  Maybe some of the monuments on the mall in D.C.? 

IMG_0336     IMG_0363

                                      IMG_0333

Well that’s it for now.  Time to get ready for church.  A domani!

5 comments:

Rach said...

Ah, bella Roma! Bummer about the crowds at the Colliseum. But what a beautiful bunch of pictures! I love the ones of your kids in front of it. And you're right, it really is amazing how long those buildings have lasted. There's little that can last that long.

elizabeth farnsworth said...

What a treat! I think they actually have opened up some of the bottom of the Colosseum for the summer; there's an article about it in Natl. Geographic or Smithsonian. I bet relaxing in that lovely Roman backyard felt like heaven. Utahns don't appreciate the very real need of human beings for open space. Thanks for the pictures! Love you!

Nicole said...

Is there a limit to the number of times I can re-use the comment "I am so jealous" on your blog? If there is, I'm certain I surpassed it long ago. Rome looks amazing!

Rebecca said...

So jealous of all your European travels ... kind of makes that apartment worth it, don't you think?

Can't wait to see you all this summer ...

xo

Emma said...

Thanks Rachel and Mom! And to Nicole and Rebecca....you know what you need to do! Come visit and I PROMISE I'll do a super fantastic blog entry about our amazing adventures! Because they would be amazing.