Sunday, January 30, 2011

Grasshoppers, Beetles and Flies – Oh My!!!

Naomi wanted another castle cake this year.  Actually, Naomi REALLY wanted another castle cake this year.  That’s all fine and good, except for the fact that I really didn’t want to make one. I wanted something a little less time consuming.  I also just wanted to try something different (I’ve already made 2 castle cakes, after all!)  So here’s my confession.  I (through use of the force – what else?!) convinced Naomi that what she really wanted this year was a bug themed birthday party.  Yup.  I sure did.  Goodbye princesses, hello creepy crawlies.  Once I had sold Naomi on the idea, she embraced it wholeheartedly.  We had bug bingo, pin the spider on the web (that one’s always a winner), a frog toss (not a real frog), antennae making and a bug guessing game.    

Here they are trying to toss the frog onto a lily pad for a prize.  Each lily pad had a different prize.  (Side note – the uber gross room we’re in is NOT my living room.  It’s our community room upstairs.  Our apartment is not nearly large enough to hold 9 rambunctious 6 year old girls.  While I’m grateful that we have a larger space available to use, I wouldn’t mind it being free from the nastiness to which it is sometimes home.)                    

                                          IMG_0110

Here are the girls playing bug bingo.  Note the bugs taped onto the girls’ backs.  Each girl was supposed to ask questions like “Do I fly?”, or “Do I have lots of legs?'” or “Am I red?”.  Then she tried to figure out which bug she was.  This task was met with varying degrees of success.  The ladybug figured out who she was.  The stag beetle did not. (That was Naomi.  Poor thing.)

                                          IMG_0125

Present opening and Heavy, Heavy Hangover….

 IMG_0138      IMG_0134      IMG_0144 

Some beautiful bugs…

                                         IMG_0129

The cake…

                            IMG_0119      IMG_0127

The main reason behind my plot to change the theme of this birthday party was that I wanted to make a less labor intensive cake.  HA.  Whatever.  Why do I always do this to myself??  Someday I’ll learn.  Hopefully I’ll also learn that when I try to do piping after midnight, everything turns out a little wobbly…

Here’s Naomi before she blew out the candle.  I  had hoped to get a shot of her blowing out the candle but alas.  She couldn’t contain her excitement and blew it out before we were halfway done singing “Happy Birthday.”  Thinking I had at least two more lines of lyrics before I had to be ready I missed the moment.  Ah well.  She’s still pretty cute.

                                                                           IMG_0152

This is what Naomi has to say about herself as a six year old.  Note the similarities between her answers and Ian's answers.  It’s not every 6 year old girl who claims Pokémon as her favorite movie.  (Truth be told, I really think her favorite movies are the Tinkerbell movies.) 

                                                                   Naomi is 6 001

It was a buggy blast of a birthday.  Naomi, you are a smart, sweet, wildly precocious, loving, caring, silly, fun, curious, imaginative, wonderful girl.  We love you so much and are so glad you are a part of our family! 

8 comments:

Eardley Fam said...

What a darling party! Love the cake-you never cease to amaze me. Wish we could have been there ;)

Emily Patterson said...

Thanks for Sharing. Beautiful Cake.

Nicole said...

Your cake is AWESOME, but I looked at it and thought, "No way that was less work than the castle!"

And six? Really? Because I remember Naomi turning two:(

Jay and Sherrie said...

You are AMAZING!!! And I also couldn't believe that cake took less time than a castle. It is beautiful.

And that girl is so cute.

Lynette said...

SO Cute Emma! Both cakes are GREAT! Hey, if Naomi likes Pokemon then she'd be best friends with Ryley and Kadyn. That is their favorite thing to play, read, and watch. I showed Ryley Ian's party. She wondered why there are no girls there? :)) I think if we were near they would still be good friends - even if she were the only girl. Keep the posts coming. Blogging seems to be dying out a bit but I'm sticking to it and LOVE reading others adventures too. I have you on my google reader so it just alerts me automatically when you have posted. That way I know the exact days to go check. Glad all is well! We miss you guys!!

mom said...

What a fun, fun party! I love the names of the games and your cake was a masterpiece. Give your lovely bug a hug from me!

Grandma F.

Rach said...

I love everything about your party. You are a creative genius. And that cake is amazing. I plan on taking lessons on cake decorating when you are my next door neighbor. Naomi is ADORABLE!!!

Julie and Carlos said...

I can't believe you convinced her to do a bug party over princesses and castles! The cake turned out adorable though! Way to go!