Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Beautiful Ballerina

This year’s preparation for the annual dance recital was a little rough.  For one thing, Miss Ariana (Naomi’s teacher) tore her ACL and had to have it repaired, so the semester started later than usual.  Then there was sickness.  Then there was a trip to Spain.  Finally there was that Volcano in Iceland….

Why would a volcano in Iceland affect a kindergarten dance recital?  Well, when everything you purchase is shipped by plane, and all of the flights to Europe are cancelled for a week, things get a little backed up.  We were waiting for mail for weeks.  Unfortunately so was CYS (Child Youth Services).  The costumes for the dance recital never came. 

Here are the girls practicing before the recital…

                                IMG_0134
As you can see, there was a serious lack of uniformity.  The girls were very sad not to have their costumes.  The moms were devastated.  At least I was.  What’s the use of living vicariously through your daughter if there is no gold embroidered satin leotard and no tutu? 

                                                           IMG_0133

Fortunately, through some whim of fate, the costumes for the Kaiserslautern and Ramstein programs arrived in time for their recital (which was before ours) and they graciously let us borrow them.  Between the borrowed costumes, leftovers from previous years and some creative draping of fabric, the dance recital was saved.

Doesn’t she look beautiful and so grown up?

                     IMG_0106          IMG_0107

Love the posture here.  She must take after her mother.

                               IMG_0108

Here’s the whole group lined up right before their performance…

                                IMG_0112

The performance was a smashing success.  Really, is there anything more adorable (Yes, I just used the word adorable here and I’m completely justified!) than a group of 5 year old girls dressed like princesses, dancing with looks of intense focus on their faces and smiling like they’ve just won an Olympic gold medal when it’s all over?  I sure don’t think so.  

Thank you Miss Ariana!  We love you!

                                                        IMG_0114

8 comments:

racheebabe said...

She looks so gorgeous! How can a little girl be gorgeous instead of cute? I don't know, but cute just isn't the word to describe her in that costume. When did she get so old?

Em said...

She's so stinking adorable!!!!!

Jenna Harris said...

I'm so impressed that you "saved" the recital. (And how fun for me saying--ooo, I've been there and ooo, I've met her!)

Emma said...

So, I think I'd better clarify. I guess my passive voice wasn't strong enough. I did not do anything to help save the dance recital - it was all Miss Ariana, who teaches both here and at Ramstein. I wish that I were that resourceful!!! But I'm not.

Sandy White said...

Awww...the girls all look so beautiful.

mom said...

Thank you, Emma, for brightening up my day! If Naomi ever does get to wear a satin, embroidered leopard tutu, I want to see it! I love her poses. Her tendu isn't half bad! Love you all! mom

Mike and Sonila Wood said...

She is so adorable. love her!

Rach said...

What a beautiful ballet princess! She is getting so grown up. I love the costume and only wish I could see her in action.