Saturday, October 3, 2009

It’s a Wrap (Part 1)

Well, I’ve finally made it.  The last day in Italy.  I think I’ll reward myself with some gelato – fitting, don’t you think?

We spent our last day visiting villas and islands on Lago Maggiore.  Unfortunately, we were low on Euro coins, and could only pay for about 5 hours of parking, so we didn’t have time for every stop.  So, so dumb.  Looking back, I don’t know why I didn’t just go ask someone for change.  Maybe I was afraid that we’d miss the boat.  I really don’t know. 

       IMG_8166

Our first stop was Villa Taranto, which is (in my mind, anyway) a MUST for anyone visiting Northern Italy.  Remember the Boboli gardens in Florence (a few statues, some ragged looking lawns, some trees)…

       IMG_7910

… and then compare them to Villa Taranto.

     IMG_8172

IMG_8173  IMG_8178

IMG_8180

                           IMG_8174 

 IMG_8179

                         IMG_8176 

IMG_8185

 IMG_8187  IMG_8193

  IMG_8189

  IMG_8190

  IMG_8194

Do I have you convinced?  (Keep in mind that this was in early April – Villa Taranto just gets progressively more beautiful from then on out.) I really don’t know why the Boboli gardens get so much press.  I LOVE NORTHERN ITALY! 

Well, it turns out that I put more pictures in than I had intended.  I’m going to have to split this post so my dinosaur of a computer doesn’t die a slow and painful death.  Maybe someday we’ll figure out what’s wrong with the laptop….

No comments: