The fourth morning of our trip to Tuscany we piled in the car and drove to Pisa. We had fantastic luck driving and parking the entire trip. Oh Nuvi, how I love you! Let me count the ways.... When I think of my parents (20 years ago) driving all over Europe with only MAPS to guide them, my heart is filled with pity. Granted, Nuvi did take us on a couple of roads in Italy that perhaps don't really deserve to be called roads (goat path might be a more accurate designator), however, overall we quickly and easily reached each of our intended destinations. The only stressful moment in our drive to Pisa was parking. We easily found street parking. The problem was determining whether or not it was legal for us to park where we had parked. The cars surrounding ours had stickers in the windows. Were the stickers parking permits? Proof of registration? Indication of political party affiliation? Not wanting to experience the horrific nightmare that would be recovering a towed car Italy, I stealthily examined the stickers on the cars around ours. Proof of registration. I think. At any rate, our car didn't get towed. (I must confess I was a just a little worried about it while we were wandering around Pisa.) Anyway, Pisa....
The first thing we did when we arrived at the Campo dei Miracoli was make a stop at the ticket office. You have to pay to climb to the top, of course, and it is a VERY popular thing to do, so we made sure to get there early. To our relief, tickets were available for 10:15. We pulled out our Euros, got in line, asked (in Italian!) for 4 tickets, and were promptly told that Ian and Naomi couldn't climb. The minimum age is eight. Seriously?! These kids are veteran climbers, and really, the tower of Pisa isn't that tall. So much for kid friendly activity number one of the day. We quickly revamped our plans and Ben climbed to the top while I watched the kids.
Next up, the cathedral and the baptistry. So, so, so beautiful. Both are filled with sculpture and artwork by renowned renaissance artists. The sculpted pulpit is by Pisano.
After spending some quality time alone with the children on the pathways outside (too bad the grass is more protected than the lawns on BYU campus) we met up with Ben and made an exchange. I left the three of them to explore the souvenir stands and spent some peaceful time alone in the Campo Santo (a cemetary). Unfortunately I sent both cameras off with Ben so I wasn't able to take any pictures. I guess I'll have to go back....darn.
We only spent the morning in Pisa. Outside of the field of miracles - not really too much to see. So, off we went to Lucca (another hill top town - very close to Pisa).
Things that worked in Lucca - a tower to climb (in lieu of the one that leans), a bicycle ride on the ramparts of the city (the walls are wide enough at the top for a bicycle/jogging path), the Lucca cathedral (somewhat rundown -it obviously doesn't get the funding from tourist visits that the others do) and yummy food (I think my calzone had 2 pounds of cheese in it).
Ian particularly enjoyed the statue of St. Martin on the facade of the cathedral. He learned about St. Martin in school last year and made a lantern for the St. Martin's day parade (in which we marched).
Here's a picture at the top of the tower. I can't tell you how much I really, really hate this picture. Unfortunately it's the only one we have. Truly unfortunate. Interesting to have trees on top of a tower, no?
Things that didn't work in Lucca - okay, there really only was one. The "remains" of the Roman amphitheater. So for some reason I had the idea that the amphitheater was in ruins, and that the kids could climb around on it. Nope. The Italians have converted the amphitheater into a piazza. Note the oval shape and the rounded portals (from which entered the gladiators, I guess). It was quaint, and there was room to run - it just wasn't the climbing paradise I had envisioned. Definitely a disappointment for the kids. Two failed kid friendly activities in one day is pushing it.
And that's it for Pisa and Lucca. I also wanted to visit San Gimignano and Volterra but there just wasn't enough time. So, back to Italy we will have to go! I think I can take it.
2 comments:
I realize I haven't commented on your last few posts, but it's because:
1) I somehow missed that they existed -- thanks a lot, Blogger. And
2) How many times can I comment that I can't believe that you live where you live/I am so jealous/I miss you?
You see my problem, I'm sure. The kids are getting so big and it looks like you are wasting no time in Europe! Keep scoping out all the best spots and we'll come over when you have a comprehensive list;)
First of all, I am fairly sure that when we went to Pisa back in the day, Stephen, who was 5, was running around on the top. Times have changed, my friend. Second, awesome pictures. Italy sure is beautiful. And lastly, if you go to Volterra, do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT follow a tourist group into a creepy castle. You will be eaten by vampires.
Post a Comment