Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Wrong Cord

I realize that I have been lax in my blogging duties lately. I usually do my blogging on our laptop. (It's the better, faster, newer computer - and it has all of my pictures on it.) Unfortunately our laptop computer cord had compatibility issues with the electricity flow in Italy. (Apparently the whole 220 Volts thing is just a "suggestion" for the Italians - just like lanes on the freeway are "optional.") Anyway, the laptop is supposed to be fine on anything from 100-240 volts. It has been fine in Germany, in England, in Belgium, and in the Netherlands. In Florence it was fine. In Varese it was not. To make a long story short, now the electricity isn't making it from the wall to our computer.

Big deal, you may say. So what! Order a new cord. Get it fixed.

Ha.

If only it were that easy. Ben spent a good couple of hours on the phone with the lovely people at HP only to be told that they could not ship a power cord directly to our APO address.

Hmmmm....

This is not the first time we've had trouble with our laptop cord. We had one shipped directly to us only a few months ago. It made it here in record time - something like 5 days for an overnight shipment. Not bad.

This time, however, the cord was not replaceable under the warranty. I guess that makes a difference in the shipping policy. Go figure. Anyway, we got HP to ship the cord to Ben's parents, who in turn shipped it to us. It took about 2 weeks to get here. We opened the box and what did we find? THE WRONG CORD!!!!!!!

This is after Ben CLEARLY explained to the guy on the phone which cord we needed. (That guy was a customer service rep who then CLEARLY (hahaha) explained to the sales people which cord we needed.)

So, now Ben is on the phone AGAIN with the HP customer service people who are AGAIN insisting that they cannot ship the cord to an APO address. Despite the fact that they've done it before. Despite the fact that this mess is due to their own egregious error.

Boo on HP.

I think this calls for some chocolate.

11 comments:

luce said...

if it helps any we have shipping issues here also we ship all things to my mom and she sends them on with other things added to the box so it is a win win situation all for me. hope you are loving it there i am here.

Anonymous said...

Part of the shipping problem is laws regarding the whole current thing. That's why you will also find it difficult to order such things as a 110V charger for rechargeable batteries, even though you live in on-post housing that supplies 110V current for your electrical convenience. It's just one of the less-than-exciting aspects of living OCONUS. But just think: you actually got to type the sentence, "It has been fine in Germany, in England, in Belgium, and in the Netherlands. In Florence it was fine. In Varese it was not." How cool is that?!?!? Karl and I find ourselves saying things like that all the time.

Like last Friday, we went for a walk along the Riverwalk after he got out of a lecture series downtown. We saw these black ducks with a white streak on their bills, and both of us said, "Didn't we first see those in Copenhagen? What are they doing in Augusta?" I mean, really. HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?

Anonymous said...

OK, I typed too fast. I do know how to use proper grammar, and it will pain me to think that your well-edumacated readers might not know otherwise. (Because, you know, I make those judgements all the time ;P ) The first sentence above should read, "Part of the shipping problem is THE laws..." Ack.

Staci said...

Hawaii.. is part of the USA and you would be amazed at what they wont ship here either.. It is a pain.. we ship most everything to my mother-in-law and she ships it to us.. It isn't worth the fight most of the time.
You are doing so well and exploring all of Europe. Your kids will have some amazing memories!

Nicole said...

I was going to type something about "you don't need a faulty cord to eat chocolate" but now I am too distracted by my word verification --

"andammit"

Did you put that there on purpose, Emma? You were always cussing a mean streak when we hung out;)

Rach said...

Wow. What lovely people you get to deal with at HP. I hate dealing with problems like that over the phone. There's bound to be a misunderstanding at some point. I am looking forward to your pictures from your trip to Italy, and hope the cord sitch clears up soon. By the way, my verification word is snogess, which makes me think of the Georgia Nicholson books, which mention snogging several times.

Tigerlily said...

Time for a MAC!!!!

Emma said...

Chrysta - it was pretty cool to type that sentence. I just wish I had done it on my laptop! We haven't been to Copenhagen yet, but it's definitely on our list.

Lucy and Staci - It is ridiculous what they won't ship to Hawaii. I have spent a lot of time reading shipping policies since we got here, and I definitely think you have it worse.

Nicole and Rachel- you know my goal in life is to corrupt everyone I know. I figure if I spread my evil ways, I won't feel so alone....

Finally - Sara - NO WAY, NO HOW!!!!!! I am a lifetime PC user. Next time I will just get a Dell - enough with these HP losers!

Jenna Harris said...

Chocolate solves everything. Especially dark chocolate. You're in Germany for crying out loud! You should have some very good chocolate on hand at all times.

I say POO on HP. Those stinkers. Absolutely ridiculous.

Tigerlily said...

I married a MAC man and I have to say that I was skeptical at first. We have never had a problem with them ever. I love my MACs. They really have a fabulous reputation that is well deserved. I did not mean to offend. I was trying to be funny.

Emma said...

Sara! I wasn't offended AT ALL!!! I was joking back! :) You never need to worry about offending me!