Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Portrait of a Princess

Naomi, like about 99.873% of 3 to 4 year old girls (and I'm sure there are statistics to back this up) loves all things princess.  She loves princess movies, princess music, princess clothing, princess dolls....if it has to do with princesses she's bound to enjoy it.  (She still loves lizards, bugs and dinosaurs, but for now they've taken the back seat to her princess fixation.  I will forever remember Naomi treating Ian's model T-Rex to a makeover one day with her Lipsmackers.)  So, when we celebrated her 4th birthday in January, OF COURSE we had to have a princess party.  I think the girls (and boy) that came had nearly as much fun at the party as I had putting it together.  We decorated crowns.  We played princess bingo.  We played pin the horn on the unicorn.  (Pin the tail on the donkey is such a versatile game!)  We had a treasure hunt.  And we did it all within the confines of our 1100 square foot apartment.  (I consider that the greatest achievement of the day!) 

Here are the princesses (and prince) that attended our grand festival...

IMG_7628 IMG_7632

(I have to insert here that Ian just wandered into the living room blinking and bleary-eyed and muttered "Guten Morgen."  It's 10:16 p.m.  While his timing is off, it's nice to know that he's learning something in his German immersion program.  How long is it going to be until he can be my personal translator?!)

Okay, back to Princess Naomi.  I really think she had a good time at her party.  It was so gratifying to me to see her enjoy herself so much.  Here she is opening presents:

                                     IMG_7641

Here is the princess castle cake I made her:

                                     IMG_7636

And here she is about to blow out the candles:

                                    IMG_7650

I must insert that I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my cousin Holly for her help in figuring out how do do this cake.  I saw a picture of her infinitely better version and begged her for help which she most generously bestowed.  Thanks Holly!  I think next time I will try using bigger cake pans.  The center rounds were just not quite large enough to support the weight of the towers.  (You may have noticed that the center tower has a decided tilt.  I think it gives the cake a distinctly Italian flair.)  If Naomi is anything like me, I'm pretty sure there will be a next time.  My mom must have made me a heart shaped cake every year from the time I was 8 until the time I was 18 (thanks Mom!).  I'm actually looking forward to trying again.  It was a fun experiment.

Here are some recent pictures of our beautiful, smart, kind, compassionate, sweet, determined, feisty, adventurous, obstinate, loving, expressive, silly, precocious, dramatic little girl. 

Ballet class with Miss Arianna...

    IMG_7653     IMG_7668     IMG_7669

Balancing exercises during warm-ups...

                                       IMG_7661

Naomi's first snow angel...

                     IMG_7670      IMG_7671

Ian was off sledding with the boys from the building and their dads (Ben was in Chicago taking the boards) so Naomi and I had our own little snow day.  We built a really, really cute snowman which I was unable to photograph because my battery died right after I took these two pictures.  Unfortunately, by the time my battery was charged, some really nice neighbor kids had knocked it down.  Gosh I love living on post. 

Anyway, Naomi - Happy Birthday!  We love you.  We are so glad you are a part of our family.  You are a very special little girl!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cake is amazing. I hope someday I have an excuse to try it myself :) Naomi looks about 3 years older than when you left. Sigh. I wish they'd all quit growing up.

Em said...

Seriously, she is the most photogenic little girl EVER. She's beautiful, in every way.

Jessica said...

Amen with the previous two comments. Amazing cake. Really amazing, even with the tilt. And beautiful sweet girl. We miss you guys.

Rach said...

I loved the post. The pictures were amazing (she really is a beautiful little girl. I also love that Ian said Guten Morgan. I can totally picture it, and it's making me laugh and laugh.

mom said...

Thank you, Emma, for another grandma fix. You can really see how tall Naomi is getting in that picture where she is being held by her ballet teacher. What a beautiful princess!!

Bastianclan said...

Wow Emma nice job on the cake. That is super cool. I think the Tilt adds character.
Naomi has really grown up, I mean straight up, she looks a lot taller.

Happy Brithday Naomi!

Jenna Harris said...

That is so cute! Annika is turning 3 on Saturday and she's all about the princesses too.

Ian needs a kiss for the Guten Morgan comment. So. Freaking. Cute.

Jenna Harris said...

PS I hate you for making that cake. I will never, EVER make a cake that cool. Sheesh. Look at you...is it ubermom in Germany??

Emma said...

It is not just your imagination - Naomi has really sprouted this year. She is now wearing a size 6 dress (she's barely 4). I guess we grow them tall in the Patterson family!

Julie and Carlos said...

Wow LOVE the cake! I wonder if I could turn such an amazing design into a scary Lord of the Ring Cake.. or anything a boy might like! Happy Birthday!!!! By the way... where's that Christmas card... JK

Holly said...

Sorry about the tardiness of my comment, but you did a GREAT job on the cake! Seriously, it looks really good. I'm glad Naomi had a great birthday!