Saturday, February 21, 2009

25 Random Things

*Warning* This is a picture- free post...

25 random things about me….I have a hard time doing something like this because I can’t imagine someone actually reading it clear through to the end. I’m really not that interesting. But, I have been tagged approximately 25 times (okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration) so I guess I’ll give it a go.

  1. I am compulsively responsible. This guy I dated in college complained regularly that I wasn’t spontaneous (I retorted that I wasn’t STUPID) because I wouldn’t do things like take off in the middle of the night for Wendover with him. Who wants to go to Wendover, anyway?
  2. I am a night owl. This started in college with post performance highs and has continued with child free hours post bedtime.
  3. I am embarrassed that I am not speaking German yet.
  4. I really, really, really want to learn to play the banjo.
  5. Or maybe the mandolin.
  6. One of the things that makes me happiest is watching my children really enjoy something and/or seeing wonder in their eyes when they discover something new.
  7. I enjoy baking. Not cooking so much, but baking. I really love making fancy desserts – especially ones with a high chocolate content.
  8. I started watching Stargate SG-1 with my husband and by Season 3 was hooked. (The first couple of seaons were lame.) We now own all 10 seasons.
  9. Despite having been raised in a cold weather climate (UT) I don’t like cold weather. Or snow. I like skiing and sledding, but only for a day or so. I miss the weather in Georgia – humidity is a pain, but it keeps my hands from cracking and bleeding which is a definite bonus.
  10. I am NOT athletic. People think that because I’m a musician I’m coordinated. Well, just because I can move my fingers does not mean that I have any gross motor skills. Let’s just say that PE ruined my 4.0 in high school. I think that they should have remedial PE for people like me.
  11. I am looking forward to taking some tennis lessons this spring. There’s a tennis club here on post with clay courts, so that should be interesting. The difference between tennis and other sports is that I can be bad at it and enjoy it. I never enjoyed basketball.
  12. I LOVE GERMAN YOGURT!
  13. AND CHOCOLATE!
  14. AND CHEESE!
  15. I’m having to exercise more here as a result of numbers 12, 13 and 14 to keep the weight off, and it is totally worth it!
  16. I don’t like to exercise.
  17. The thing I hate most about Germany is my stupid, tiny, cramped apartment.
  18. I feel like something’s not right with the world if I’m not in the middle of a good book. I always have a stack of books on my nightstand, and I can’t fall asleep unless I’ve read for a little while before bed.
  19. I like numbers and statistics. Lately I’ve been addicted to the CNN Money page – the price of oil and the Euro/Dollar conversion rate are my latest favorites.
  20. I truly believe that something worth doing is something worth doing well. So, when I do something, I go all out.
  21. As a result of number 19, I sometimes get overambitious and overextend myself. Fortunately I have a fantastic husband who is willing to help me out of the fixes in which I so frequently find myself. I’ve dragged Ben into cooking projects, baking projects, MUSIC, MUSIC, MUSIC, sewing projects, Relief Society Projects…..poor guy.
  22. I love period dramas. Pride and Prejudice, North and South (not the Civil War one), Bleak House, Emma, Martin Chuzzlewit, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion are among my favorites. I love to read the books, and I love to watch the movies.
  23. The thing I miss most right now (aside from family and friends, which goes without saying) is my Symphony job and the performance opportunities I had in Augusta. I’m having a very hard time finding places to play here. (Refer to number 3.) Hopefully now that Naomi’s FINALLY in pre-school I can work more on my German and work harder on finding a group to play with.
  24. I want to work on my singing. I get asked to sing in church a lot, and it would be nice to feel like I was better in control of what comes out of my mouth.
  25. I have the greatest husband and kids on the planet. (And yes, I really believe that.)

So, there it is. More than you possibly ever wanted to know about me. If any of you made it through all 25 I should give you a prize. There’s always chocolate…..


9 comments:

Nicole said...

I made it easily. Send chocolate ASAP;)

Nicole said...

P.S. How on EARTH can you claim to be boring? You're pretty much the most well rounded and intelligent person that I have ever known. And I'm not just saying that for more chocolate!

Stephanie said...

I'm with Nicole. No problem making it through, you give yourself far too little credit.

Now send chocolate!:)

Brandi said...

Oh, I miss German cheese. And yogurt. And chocolate (Kinder Buenos were my favorite).

I played flute with the University of Heidelberg Chamber Society when I lived there. I hear they got a new conductor a couple of years ago, so who knows if he'd be as lenient (letting a non-student participate).

I also played a little with the Army Band during their summer concert series (although cello might be trickier to work out...)

~Brandi

Rach said...

I already know you really well, but I still enjoyed reading everything about you. I didn't need to read about it to know you're a fantastic person. You haven't been in Germany long enough to feel guilty about not spreching the Deutsch yet, so don't sweat it. Just make a spitting sound at the back of your throat while you talk and you're halfway there! And one of the things you didn't list because you're modest is that you do nice things for people all the time, and are an expert at gift gifting.

Engidu said...

Really interesting book for you to read, especially in our current economic situation: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Maybe you should become a cycler. You don't need to be particularly coordinated or athletic to enjoy riding a bike, especially when you live somewhere as amazing as you do

Em said...

That last comment was really from me. I didn't realize I was signed in on Zander's name.

Ali said...

Reading this made me think - I miss Emma! If Boston weren't so cold, I would beg you to move here. I've been wanting to watch North and South for quite some time! Not to get sentimental in a blog post, but I really miss having you around!

Summer Owens said...

Period dramas are fabulous! And so is Stargate! :D