Now before you are start calling me to check on me, let me just assure you right now that the title of this post has nothing to do with my emotional well-being. Granted, there are days here that are lonely, however that is (maybe) a subject for another day. This post is all about Naomi.....
My friend wrote this post on her blog a few months ago. As I read it, several thoughts came to mind. These included, and were not limited to: "Wow, I really can't imagine having a daughter that sensitive and, well, so dramatic - at least not for a few years, anyway," and, "If cute kittens make her cry, what's she going to do when she finds out about things like ethnic cleansing and global warming?" and finally, "Heaven help her mom when she hits puberty!" My friends, never say never. And never assume that you are immune from ANYTHING!!
The Monday after Thanksgiving we went and bought a Christmas tree for family home evening. We were going to decorate it that night, but by the time we had picked the tree, loaded it into the car, driven home, dragged the tree up the stairs and into our apartment and securely installed it in its tree stand, I was ready for the kids to go to bed. I had the mistaken impression that if we waited until another night to decorate the tree (hopefully starting earlier in the evening) we'd have happier and more cooperative children. HA!
Thursday night we started decorating. I must insert here that I love decorating the Christmas tree. I love having a real tree. I love the smell of the pine sap. I love pulling out each decoration and remembering who gave it to us, or who made it. So, I was really excited to get started.
We had a grand start. The kids were happy. They were getting along well and were actually able to hang some ornaments without help. We had only dropped (and broken!) one ornament. Then Ben made the fateful statement that `would (unbeknownst to us) change the course of the evening from one of music, smiles and laughter to one of uncontrollable sobbing, moaning, and dismay. While helping Naomi hang an ornament on a branch that was out of her reach, she asked him why they had to hang the ornament on that particular branch. He responded that the branch was lonely and sad, and we wouldn't want it to stay that way would we? Seeming to accept that logic, they hung the ornament and moved on. Or seemed to. Just moments later Naomi burst into tears. We're not talking a little sniffle here. Not even a steady cry. This was uncontrolled sobbing. I (being the sensitive mother I am) rushed to her side and asked what was the matter.
"It's.....so...sobsobsobsob.....lonely....and......sobsobsob.......sa-a-a-a-a-a-d-d-d-d....."
"Naomi, are you lonely? We're all right here...do you need some help putting on the ornament?"
"Noooooooo.....the.....sobsobsob.....bra-a-a-a-a-a-anch.....lonely....sa-a-a-d...."
Good grief.
Are you kidding me?
Seeing my daughter in such distress, I did what any sensitive mother would do. I ran and grabbed the camera. And here's the evidence of our joyous evening:
The sobbing lasted a full hour. She cried while we finished decorating the tree. (Fortunately we were almost done!) She cried while she used the potty. She cried while she got her jammies on. She cried while Ben brushed her teeth. There was no stopping it. I'm doomed. So, when you're all in the throws of pre-pubescent drama and teen angst, give me a call. We'll be there too.
7 comments:
That is so cute. I'm sure Hannah will have moments like that someday. Your tree was beautiful. I love real trees also.
Oh that is SOOOOO fantastically ironic! I love knowing that you can empathize with me on this one now:)
And just so you know, that same dumb episode of Fetch with Ruff Ruffman came on over the Christmas break and we had the same freaking reaction all over again! She tried to DVR it and I erased the episode faster than you can say "estrogen".
Oh gotta love girls. I'm not sure whether to keep wishing for one or to be happy with a houseful of boys :) Your tree looks pretty in front of your oh-so-German windows. I saw a show on the Autobahn this weekend that had all kinds of footage on the A-95 between Munich and Garmisch. I nearly cried! Is it wierd that I look at pictures of a foreign country and get homesick?
My mom called me the other day and informed me that she had been doing some reading and she had learned that Emma's tearful episodes stem from getting a head injury when she was 6.
I informed mom that 1) Emma wasn't my only child with tearful episodes and 2) that Emma had had "sadness outbursts" since before she was 6.
But if Emma's problem comes from a head injury, what head injury did all the other 4 to 10-year-old girls have?
Oh man, I got a good laugh out of that story. Lonely and sad! She is so cute. I love that you took pictures. You can tell Naomi that Aunt Rachel says it's okay to cry about stuff, especially if it helps you get what you want.
Emma! Forgive me for sneaking on your blog from Rachel's--but I'm so glad to see what your family's up to in Germany. I still go to Grovetown for Clara's therapy several times a month and think about you, especially when we listen to our CDs (which Clara still loves). How is everything?! Feel free to check out our blog at http://michaelandbrittany.blogspot.com.
Ben how dare you! I'm calling social services! Uh - would you mind providing me with the number? I don't have a German phone book. :)
Julie
Post a Comment