I realize that I am woefully behind (once again!) in my blogging activity. There are two factors at play here, really. The first is that I really have been very busy. (A testament to this fact is that it is now 11:10 p.m. and I am just now sitting down to do this. And honestly, if I hadn't made a promise to my mom, it would have been put off yet another day.) The second factor contributing to the lack of new and exciting material on my blog is my perfectionist streak. I have real issues with quality control. As in I like to be in control. Like, all of the time. And I have a really hard time making something public that hasn't been thought through thoroughly. (How do you like that alliteration?!) Writing papers in college was AGONY for me. I never could just push through a rough draft. I probably re-wrote every sentence in every paper at least 3 times. Of course by the time my "rough draft" was done, all I had to do was make a few corrections and it was ready to hand in. The point is, it took me FOREVER! And that is how blogging is for me. I can't just spew it out. (Not that I'm creating masterpieces here - I just can't stand the thought of a poorly constructed paragraph.) So, tonight my goal is to be done with this post by 11:30. (I need some time to read before bed after all!) You'll all just have to be forgiving - I'm going to try and type without hitting the backspace key too many times. The results could be frightening.
Because I'm behind, I'm going to throw together a smattering of pictures from the last month or so. We'll start with St. Martin's Day. St. Martin's Day is a holiday in Germany that is primarily for young children. The children make lanterns (or buy them!) and participate in a parade while carrying said lanterns and singing traditional St. Martin's Day songs. (Come on, don't you all know the classic "Laterne, Laterne?" ) Ian made his lantern in school. If I had found a pre-school for Naomi by now, she would have made one too, but I haven't. I tried to buy her one (I went to 4 German stores) and they were all sold out. Thankfully Ben was quite handy with twisty ties, glue guns, and the rod from our blinds and threw together a lantern for Naomi in just a few minutes.
Here are the kids with their lanterns. Ian had learned the songs in class, so we had fun listening to him sing in German as we paraded behind the brass band. There were probably 250 children with lanterns in the parade. It was a beautiful sight. By the way, folks, those are real candles (with flames!) in those lanterns. It made the night exciting!
The next topic in our festival of randomness is wiggly teeth. Ian has had 2 or 3 wiggly teeth for a very, very long time. After much pulling and tugging and yanking one finally gave way. Ian lost his first tooth! Here are some pictures as only a dentist can take them...
Ian was thrilled to have his first visit from the Tooth Fairy. Did you know that she also pays for teeth in Euros?
*Note - these pictures were taken only a day or two after Ian had lost the tooth. Much to our dismay, the permanent tooth grew in behind the baby tooth long before it came out. Dang it!
Our final, and also completely unrelated, subject is winter. As in COLD weather. As in, after 3 years in Georgia my system is completely in shock. We've already had snow TWICE!!! That's twice as much snow as we got during the entire 3 years we lived in Augusta! I must say I am not thrilled to have to scrape car windshields again. Neither am I thrilled to constantly have cold hands and feet. I DON'T LIKE BEING COLD! The one good thing about snow is that the kids love it. They were ECSTATIC to wake up one morning to see everything covered in white. Of course, we went outside to play. Well, truthfully, Ben played with them while I documented. Here are a few pictures...
Well, that about wraps it up! Unfortunately I didn't make my self-imposed publication deadline. It is now 11:55. Still, that's record time (as in short!) for one of my blog entries. I guess I don't have time to read....maybe next time I'll be faster! :)
14 comments:
I think your posts are so interesting to read because I have never lived in another country nor known someone who does. So, thanks for your "random smattering." I know what you mean about wanting a paragraph to be perfect. I have already spent 5 minutes and at least 20 hits on the backspace while typing this little comment... LOL!
Great to hear from you guys! Love the snow - but can completely understand the not being cold part! Happy Holidays!
Great pics! I love Naomi's shiny pink coat! And the pictures of Ian's mouth are priceless! I know what you mean about struggling through a rough draft. It must run in the family. Of course, I'm not the same with my blog. I've gotten lazy, plus, I either have to do it with one hand or wait until Tyler stops crying, then get it out as fast as I can. So my entries may post more often, but at a much lower quality. (This comment typed with 1 hand :))
See, and this is where I have just had to go totally opposite on my own blog -- I write the laziest posts I can manage, so that people's expectations are REALLY low. That way if I ever actually try to sound coherent (and succeed) everyone is impressed!
I love that your "thrown together" blog post is better written than my "thought out" ones.
The kids look great, and BIG! How did that happen already?
We miss you!
P.S. My word verification is "spang". Cool word. I shall use it every chance I get tomorrow.
Emma,
You don't know me (my first week in the Grovetown ward was your last), but I like your blog because it reminds me of our 5 years in Mannheim (in fact, based on the pictures of your housing I'd say you're IN Mannheim or Heidelberg. I'll have to read your older posts, maybe you say where you are...).
Anyway, there's a great preschool in Boll-Iggleheim. It's German, but they're accommodating to Americans. My oldest was speaking near fluent German after 7 months.
It's been a few years, so I forget the name. I'll try to find it tomorrow.
~Brandi
Oh, I forgot--
If you're in the Heidelberg Ward you probably know Bob and Judy Palmer. Tell them the Douglasses say hello!
Hello Emma!
You do sound incredibly busy. Good luck with everything. Your kids are so adorable!
Nicole - whatever (insert hands held in a big W here) about your "lazy posts." Your writing is always fantastic! Your last post on Keaton was exceptional. How many times were you able to use the word "spang?" By the way, I find it amusing that I have to do the word verification thing to comment on my own blog.
Brandi - I do know who you are, and I actually read your blog quite regularly (thanks to the link on Nicole's blog). We are in Heidelberg. I don't think the Palmers live here anymore (at least I've never met them, and they're not on the rosters) but there are some people here that have lived here a REALLY long time that you might know. Do you know the Allreds, or the Clarks, or the Lamoureax? It's a great ward, and very large. In fact, they merged the Mannheim and Heidelberg wards and we meet in a new chapel in Heidelberg that we share with a German stake. Pretty fun.
To all of you, it's so great to read your comments. We miss you all, especially this time of year. I'm so glad to have this medium through which we can keep in touch. Love you all!
Emma,
It is weird to be in the Grovetown ward at Christmas time without any Emma Patterson music. At all. I'm sure you are relieved to be done with that (or are you the new music chair in your own ward???)
Thanks for all the great posts. It's fun to see what you're up to in Germany and to see how fast your kids are growing up.
Wow, the tooth fairy is smart. The Euro has a much better international exchange rate than the dollar right now. I'm sure that Ian was grateful for her intuition. Maybe we should request the tooth fairy to bring euros too.
I hate being cold, too. Wendell hates being hot. We'll never leave Utah cuz we get a little of both.
Come live in sunny FL when you're done! I enjoyed your random smattering. What wonderful moments you are sharing with your children in Germany. We really must meet up in Europe when we visit!
Okay, Emma, it's time.....for MORE PICTURES and MORE WRITING! mom.
Emma,
I bet you die when you come to my blog. I laugh at my writing. I know there are some readers that wonder how I ever made it through High School let a lone College. LOL Well folk I have.
Congrats to Ian!!! How cool is that? Brooklyn has a wiggly tooth right now and wiggles it everyday. She is so excited.
Okay I hear you re the snow. Ummm I would rather be in the sun.
But the snow is fun to play in.
We sure miss you guys. Umm Christmas is almost here, I am going to miss your pie. Umm ever send a chocolate pie from Germany?
Post a Comment