Monday, November 3, 2008

Back from Bavaria pt. II, or, the Madness of King Ludwig

I know that our Bavaria trip was awhile ago....let's just say that life has been crazy.  Really, when is it not?  I feel like I begin each week with a fresh outlook and a relatively clear schedule.  By mid-week I am embroiled in multiple projects and feeling overwhelmed by the number of things I need to accomplish before the weekend.  As I reach the end of the week I sink, exhausted, into bed wondering where the week went and how it is possible that I got so little done.  Time passes so quickly.  I am hoping that as I get into more of a routine here, and become more familiar with my surroundings, my life will begin to feel less frenetic and over-scheduled.  On the other hand, I am a compulsively busy person.  Maybe there's no hope! 

Anyway, the last two weeks were filled with birthdays, Halloween activities, and church responsibilities and blogging (out of sheer necessity) got shoved to the back burner.  I'm in a pre-Thanksgiving lull right now, though, so I'm planning on getting all caught up.  So, back to Bavaria. 

After our day on the Zugspitze we decided it was time to do some castle gazing.  In two days we visited 3 castles owned by King Ludwig II of Bavaria. The first, Hohenschwangau, was his parents' place. (Ludwig was born in Hohenschwangau, but decided (when he ascended the throne at the ripe old age of 18) that it was too old-fashioned for his taste moved out.) 

                    IMG_7272         IMG_7247

                                           IMG_7245

I don't know - if I'd been born in a place like that I'd be looking to upgrade.  Wouldn't you?  Because the 20 minute walk to the top only took us 5 (with kids!!!) we arrived in plenty of time to walk around the courtyards and enjoy the views from each side of the castle, all of which were spectacular.  It is, after all, about location, location, location...

       IMG_7241  IMG_7240

      IMG_7263  IMG_7264

I have to insert here that visiting the Alps this fall was such a balm for my homesickness.  After living for 7 years in relatively flat places it is so wonderful to live near some real mountains.  If we hadn't encountered several crazy German motorists, and seen the pristine woodstacks on the pristine farms filled with immaculately groomed cattle, I almost would have believed myself to be back in Utah.  It was great to be in the mountains again.

The second castle we visited is the most famous of Ludwig's castles, and possibly the most famous castle in Europe - Neuschwanstein.  This is one of several newer, hipper place Ludwig built during his reign.  It never was finished.  Ludwig (by the time he was in his early 30's) had bankrupted the treasury and was found drowned in a pond next to the castle.  Very mysterious...

     IMG_7235 IMG_7299

 

     IMG_7277  IMG_7284 IMG_7285 IMG_7283 IMG_7279

The third castle we visited was Linderhoff - Ludwig's mini-Versailles.  I swear the guy spent his life trying to escape it.  He had grottos, a Moorish Kiosk, the mini-Versailles, a Wagnerian hunting lodge.  Way too much money, way too much power.

                                                              IMG_7315

Our last stop (and this was the one that pushed the kids to their limits) was at a monastery in Ettal.  We'll have to go back.  But, we did run into someone who took a picture of the whole family together (we got 3 in one trip!!!) so at least we can document that we tried.

                                   IMG_7344

 

And that's it.  We had a really, really long drive home (taking the scenic route wasn't the best of ideas) and are now trying to decide what to do for our next 4 day weekend.  Trier perhaps?

Oh, and mom, I PROMISE the Halloween pictures are coming soon!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

1: You will ALWAYS be busy because it is your addiction (aside from chocolate and NPR:)

2: I would think that the crazy German motorists would make you feel MORE like you are in Utah, not less.

3: You guys are so cool and look like you are having a blast exploring Europe.

We still miss you here!

P.S. My word verification is "haten" -- a little bit negative, don't you think?

Em said...

I find it ironic that monks live in these elaborate monasteries after taking a vow of poverty. But man that place looked pretty!

my verification word is "ablue"...is your verification machine a bit down lately?

Emma said...

Nicole - I'm telling you, the motorcyclists on the mountain roads by Garmisch did some passing that would make even the craziest UT driver cringe.

Em - These particular monks also earn a living making liquor. I guess the life of a monk is a little less austere than one would think!

Bastianclan said...

Emily,
Your trip sounds like so much fun. Wow Bavarian is beautiful. What a fun family adventure. I love being in the Army and having them pay for us to move to all these cool places allowing us to travel the world. Can't wait to see your next family adventure.

Staci said...

WOW>>> how beautiful! Those castles are amazing.. but like you said the mountains are the best! The fall leaves and colors are amazing.. thanks for posting the beautiful fall mountains!
SO have you figured out where has the best chocolate yet?

Rach said...

Das ist so cool! I love that there were crazy kings so there are fun things to visit anywhere you go in Europe! I do feel sorry for the poor people that had to pay for their craziness--kind of puts taxes into perspective, doesn't it? But anyway, it looks like you had a fab time, and I wish I were there with you!