Sunday, September 7, 2008

Back to Blogging

So, I know it's been a long time since I've posted anything on the blog.  A really long time.  My only excuse it that our lives have been unexpectedly crazy during the last few weeks.  We've had our share of good things (more castles, first day of school, trip to the Netherlands) and some not so good things (Naomi's sore feet, damaged brand new van, sliced the tip of my thumb off).  Oh, and all our household goods (to translate for you non-military folk - our STUFF) finally, finally, FINALLY arrived.  So between trips to the car dealership and the hospital, I've been trying to figure out how to fit our belongings (which fit quite nicely into an 1800 square foot house) into a 1200 square foot apartment.  Quite the challenging task.  And I'm still not done.  Right now the futon is a junk repository, Naomi's books are still in a box (not quite sure where to put them), we haven't hung any pictures (they're currently stacked in the corner of the living room) and we are still using sheets and blankets as curtains.  However, we've made progress, and this apartment is starting to feel like a home.  We'll know we've finally arrived when our kids stop referring to our apartment as "the hotel." 

We have also kept busy escaping the "hotel."  That is why we're here, after all.  And we have seen some beautiful places.  A few weeks ago, B went on a high adventure backpacking trip in Switzerland with the boy scouts.  Poor guy.  I mean, who would want to hike the Alps in Switzerland?  What a rough life.  Anyway, we had a lot of fun joking about the "high adventure" aspects of the trip.  After all, they slept in Alpine huts and youth hostels, had meals prepared for them and took a cog railway and a gondola part way up the mountain.  High adventure?  Are you kidding?  What happened to packing your own food in and out?  Not to mention your waste products?  And how about sleeping on the ground in the rain?   Well, it turns out that the hike was actually quite steep and quite challenging.  As well as being steep, the trail was also very slippery - especially when they were hiking in the rain.  They saw, however, some stunning scenery and had a terrific time.  I can't wait to go back with B and the kids and do some hiking.  I miss mountains.  Anyway, here are some pictures B took on his trip...

IMG_6892 IMG_6902

Isn't it beautiful?  They were so lucky to have blue skies the first day.  Here are a few more from the first day...

                                                           IMG_6896

IMG_6940  IMG_6894

The building above is where the hikers stayed the first night.  They were sleeping in small beds shoulder to shoulder in the attic.  Apparently the beds they slept in that night were just fine, but the shoulder to shoulder part was not (there was some serious snoring going on) so the quality of sleep wasn't that great.  The second day they climbed to the summit of Shilthorn.  Unfortunately, that was the day it rained, so the view from the top was obstructed by clouds. 

IMG_6955 IMG_6961

On the final day they did a short hike.  At the end of the hike they came across some local musicians.  And I thought hauling a cello around was a pain.

IMG_6985 IMG_7003

The Alphorn is really a cool instrument.  If you would like to know how it sounds, do a search on youtube for alphorn - there are a bunch videos of alphorn groups performing. 

While B was off playing Captain VonTrapp, the kids and I had a few of our own adventures.  I think I'm done for tonight, so stay tuned for an account of our harrowing castle hike and yet even another post recounting our trip to the Netherlands.  And if by then I don't feel like I've said enough, you might be lucky enough to get a post on interesting things I've discovered about Europe and Europeans.  Gotta get it in print while it's still fresh!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Windows Live Writer yet? I promise you it's the fastest way to deal with putting pictures in your posts.

Where was that hutte with the red shutters? It kinda looked like one in Grindelwald. Where did they hike? I *heart* Schweiz. You'll have to drive up over the Grimselpass next summer, or maybe up over the pass (can't remember the name off-hand) that gets you over to St. Moritz from Chur. And you'll want to make sure that YOU'RE driving. Harrowing, but not to be missed. And take the St. Gotthard tunnel down to Lugano. You're in the tunnel forever, it seems, then you pop out into a totally different environment than the one you left. Lugano is all sun and shopping, Italian Switzerland at it's finest...

Can you tell that I love Switzerland? Sigh...

Rach said...

I'm glad you're back to blogging. I love that Ben had the presence of mind to take those amazing pictures while tramping around with a boy scout group. They are AMAZING! (The pictures, not the boy scouts!) I can't wait to hear about more adventures, and hope you have lots of fun every weekend. Your apartment will be super fab, with your impeccable taste. I can't wait to come out visit.

Julie and Carlos said...

Wow those pictures are breathtaking! Sorry about having to downsize - that is so hard! Now that you are in Europe I fully expect chocolates for Christmas okay!!!!

Check out our most recent post:
Babies! two out and FOUR on the way!

www.julieandcarlos@blogspot.com

Link us!

Hugs
Julie and Carlos

Sylwia said...

i really enjoy reading your and tin tin's experiences in germany. we plan to try to go overseas in two years so i'm very curious how all this is working out for you guys. the pictures are beautiful, and i enjoy your frank posts. keep them coming!!

sylwia hardman

Nicole said...

Those pictures are beautiful! Hopefully in the very near future all the not-so-fun things you have been dealing with will be a distant memory. Then you can focus on the most important thing in life -- which of course is blogging.

P.S. I had a dream last night that you and I were sitting in your old office eating dozens of Cadbury Cream Eggs with spoons. Gross. I don't even like those, but we ate them until we were sick.

Dinah said...

Just discovered your blog from Blatipalooza. I am so excited to keep tabs on your adventures. Beautiful, beautiful pictures. That is one scout trip I would LOVE to attend. Glad things are settling in a little. What a busy, exciting life!

Jenna Harris said...

First, I am freaking out about your finger. What happened? How much is left? (Yes, I have an irrational fear of losing fingers.)

Second, how cool is that?! The alphorn is so funky.

We need to hear more about school there too.

Boone said...

Seriously, I was expanding those pictures looking for Julie Andrews. Although if she was REALLY in any of those pictures I would have lost control of my bladder in surprise. So thank you for not bumping into Julie Andrews on your high adventure, or photoshopping her into your blog.