Saturday, August 2, 2008

Our Lovely New Home


Well, we’ve been able to obtain occasional internet access, so I thought I’d go ahead give you all an update on our housing situation. As I mentioned before, we are in a stairwell apartment building. The upside is that the apartment is completely renovated. The downside is that it is a tiny apartment in a stairwell style building. We are on the middle floor. This will be a challenge for us. After 3 years of living on a slab foundation my kids aren’t exactly used to being, well, quiet.




We gave off post living our very best shot. It was not meant to be. It’s unbelievable how strict they are about making everyone live on post. We were only shown 2 apartments and were expected to take one of them. I wouldn’t feel so bitter about the whole thing if I didn’t know that contracted civilians and single soldiers get to live off post….why ON EARTH should a single soldier get a 5 bedroom house on the banks of the Neckar river and NOT ME?!?! In any case, I’m over it now (or really trying to be) and I’m determined to make my apartment not only livable, but beautiful. So, here are some “before” pictures.



Obviously I can’t do much to beautify the actual stairwell, but I do plan to plant some flowers in the entryway. Painting is a definite must, as is curtain installation. We’ll give it our best. Finally, in an effort to be positive, I’m including a picture of my favorite feature in this apartment. Isn’t this the BEST DARN SILVERWARE DRAWER YOU HAVE EVER SEEN??? I thought so.



7 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Emma, you are doing awfully well with your "silverware lining"! That IS a great drawer, but I'm sure you are looking forward to getting your stuff. You'll make it look great, I know it!
The castles and fireworks sound awesome, BTW. Maybe we'll have to schedule our visit around this time of year! Miss you!

Chrystapooh said...

OK, maybe not so homesick, LOL! ;)

If you're lucky, you'll have great neighbors and that will partially make up for living in a glorified closet. I've got my fingers crossed for you...

Chrysta

Rach said...

I'm glad it's a nice apartment, if tiny. I hope you're all settled in now (although that won't really be the case until your stuff comes and you have curtains, right?). Anyway, it's nice to see pictures so I have a mental picture when I'm online chatting with you!

Stephanie said...

Can't wait to see what it looks like after you get your stuff. I'm sure you'll make it look great!

Rebecca said...

Oh darn it - I know how much you were hoping for off base housing. But it does look nice and I know you'll be able to make it look and feel like a home. In the mean time, I think someone needs to develop a terrible allergy (or something) to the place, lol.

Hang in there!

Jenna Harris said...

You know what kind of shenanigans those single soldiers are up to.... They need 5 bedroom flats with fabulous views for that, right?

Plus, no single soldier would properly appreciate that silverware drawer. Good thing you snatched it up while you could!

Debbie said...

Hey Emma,
Just got around to reading your blog. Sounds like you are enjoying your time in Heidleberg. Sorry about the tiny apartment, but you'll get used to it. We lived in one with 2 teenagers and all of their friends. Are you on Patrick Henry Village? What street? We were off of the street by the commissary.
Debbie